In recent millennium global knowledge economy has strengthen the need for strategic partnerships that go beyond their traditional roles as collaborators. World-class research universities are at the forefront of pioneering such partnerships. They are intended to run longer, invest more, look beyond and sharpen the competitiveness of industries, universities and regions. Keeping in view of these challenges, the Office of the Research, Innovation and Commercialization has been initiated at SZABIST, Karachi.
The ORIC office also serves as a conduit to local, regional and federal partners to ensure research results aid the growth of Pakistan’s economy.
Aim and Purpose of ORIC
The research and innovation activities of ORIC are aimed to:
- As per HEC guidelines, transforming SZABIST to drive high impact innovation, applied research and entrepreneurship.
- From the platform of SZABIST, to enable and lead Pakistan’s transformation to a knowledge-based economy dependent upon innovation and entrepreneurship.
- To link research and commercialization from SZABIST with emerging and existing firms across Pakistan and around the world.
- To encourage work closely with the researchers and on campus Incubators & S&T Park.
- To work on commercialization of research and helping startups to incubate, grow, create new jobs, products, services, markets, carry out innovation and bring in funding.
Mission and Objectives
The mission and objectives of ORIC comprise:
- Fund raising for research.
- Provide information to faculty about various available research grants.
- Link faculty and students with relevant industry.
- Help and guide on patent filing and licensing.
- Interface between faculty and the commercial sector.
- Work with patent counsel to assess penetrability/licensing.
- Evaluate markets for commercialization of inventions.
- Identify potential licensees.
- Negotiate terms of licenses.
- Assist with negotiating problematic sponsored research agreements.
- Help faculty start companies.